How do I participate?
Participation is easy! Teens ages 12 and up can sign up at the library from May 30th to July 5th and start reading!
All you need is a library card!
You can also preregister online from May 10th – May 25th at noon . Be sure to include your library card number on the online form, and don't forget to stop by the library when the program begins on May 30th to get a dot on your library card.
Don’t have a library card? No Problem! Check out the library's Membership FAQs page to find out how you can get a library card.
There are just a few guidelines to keep in mind when you select books to read this summer.
- Books checked out before May 30th do not count.
- Books you have read before do not count.
- You must have your library card with you to check out books.
- Books have to be on (or above) your reading level and checked out on your card.
- You can earn 1 “bonus book” for reading 5 books to a younger sibling who cannot read if he/she is participating in the Children’s Summer Reading Program.
- Every 100 pages counts as 1 book, but extra pages cannot be applied to other books.
- eBooks checked out from Camellia Net count as 1 book, and may only account for half or your reading goal. (Proof of checkout required)
What kinds of programs are scheduled for this summer?
This year, Jacksonville Public Library offers some great programs just for teens ages 12 and up, two programs for teens and adults, and lots of events for the whole family!
As always, everyone is welcome at the Lunch Munch Movies on Wednesdays at noon and the Free Friday Programs by special entertainers at 2pm. Be sure to check out the calendar to see a full list of events for the whole family.
Great Programs Just for TEENS
Word Art on Tuesday, June 13th at 4PM
Come try out the seriuosly amazing art form of balckout poetry! Instead of writing words on a page, blackout poets mark out the words they don't want on a printed page leaving single words and short phrases to creat a new masterpiece. We will also have other fun storytelling activities and games, including six–word stories, collaborative storytelling, Scattergories, and much more!
Minute To Win It Game Night on Tuesday, June 27th at 4PM
Demonstrate your daring, skill and dexterity as you compete in such challenges as “Face the Cookie,” “Stack Attack,” “Suck It Up,” and more! Grab your friends and join the competition.
For TEENS and ADULTS
Book Folding on Tuesday, June 6th at 4PM
Adults and teens, try your hand at this fun and innovative craft. If you can fold, then you can turn an old book into a beautiful work of art!
Stalking the Wild with Darryl Patton “The Southern Herbalist” on Tuesday, June 20th at 5PM
Perfect for adults and teens who are interested in learning the basics of hunting, gathering, and working with edible and medicinal plants, or seeking to further their knowledge of herbs and alternative medicine. With 30+ years experience, extensive travels, and published work, primitive and wilderness survival expert Darryl Patton brings a lot to the table!
All library programs are free, unless otherwise specified.
There is no admittance to programs after the first 15 minutes and/or when the room has reached capacity.
Each time you read 10 books, you will be entered into a drawing for some great prizes such as coupons, gift cards, Kindle Fire or other great stuff donated by area businesses. Best of all, if you read 30 books, you will be entered into a separate drawing for a Kindle Fire HD!
- 10 books read = 1 entry into the drawing for gift certificates
- 20 books read = 1 entry into the drawing for a great prize
- 30 books read = "Build a Better World" T-shirt + 1 entry into the Kindle Fire HD drawing!